Site stories

Story

Who we are – Sisk

John Sisk set up the Sisk construction business in Ireland, in 1859. The company quickly built an impressive portfolio of work including schools, hotels, banks and churches.

John V Sisk went into partnership with his father and continued the success of the business after his death.

John G Sisk, son of John V Sisk, joined the company in 1931. He spearheaded the move to Dublin - a wise move as Dublin soon became the heart of the nation’s future growth.

The UK Construction Business was established in 1984, with operations expanding into Europe in 1989. Today, Sisk family members continue to instil the family’s values, expectations & standards.

Peabody appointed John Sisk & Son  to build the second phase of the St John’s Hill estate regeneration project.

Sisk also built phase 1, delivering 153 award-winning homes, 80 of which were affordable.

Story

Who we are - Peabody

Peabody was founded by the American philanthropist and social visionary George Peabody over 150 years ago. George Peabody first visited Britain in 1827 and ten years later took up residence in London, where he remained for the rest of his life. He became acutely aware of poverty in the capital and pioneered social housing through the generous Peabody Donation Fund.

Peabody has over 150 years of experience and expertise - our first estate, in Spitalfields, was opened in 1864. We strive to do things in a way that adds the most value for our residents and communities.

The Peabody Group now owns and manages more than 66,000 homes across London and the South East. We also have 17,500 care and support customers.

We focus on those who need our help the most, working with people and communities to build resilience and promote wellbeing. We create and invest in great places where people want to live.

Story

History of the site

The Peabody St John’s Hill estate was first constructed in 1936 on a site previously occupied by the Royal Masonic Institution for Girls School. The blocks were modernised in the 1970s and in 2012 planning permission was given to regenerate the whole site in three phases.

The redevelopment, designed by Hawkins/Brown Architects, increases the number of homes from 353 to 599, which are built in an Edwardian style to fit in with the surrounding area and has high-quality landscaping throughout.

Phase 1 of the regeneration project completed in April 2016 delivering 153 high quality new homes including 80 for social rents. 73 households from the old St John’s Hill estate moved into new homes in this phase, the remaining households will be offered the opportunity to move into new homes in Phase 2.