In February 2018, Kier Construction Eastern were appointed by Northampton College to design and construct a new stand alone education building for teaching practical construction related courses and qualifications.
The £2.85m facility will provide specialist teaching spaces for Construction and Engineering related courses; including, specialist workshops, materials stores, toilets and changing facilities.
The project team have worked closely with the College to design the bespoke building. The surrounding community have also had involvement since the start of the works in October 2018: including engaging with the College Nursery, talking with and giving guided tours to students studying construction related courses at the college, taking on work placement/work experience students and promoting apprentices working on the project.
This is an opportunity to see a site from ‘the other side of the fence’.
During the 1 hour visit Kier will;
1. Carry out a brief site health safety and environmental induction – a welcome to the site, key health and safety priorities will be identified and there will be an introduction to the key members of the site team.
2. Give you an introduction of the site. We will have an open discussion which will cover a summary overview of the project, construction techniques being used and any key project milestones
3. Give you a guided tour of the site. Personal protective equipment (PPE) will be provided but please ensure you wear sturdy shoes or boots. We will see the various trades working on the project, and we won’t be going up any scaffolding or in any deep excavations.
4. Discuss careers within the built environment – if required, we can give a brief overview of the various jobs available and routes to entry into the industry.
5. Encourage and welcome questions & feedback
Please contact Kier (Paul Nelson – 07791 715714) to discuss individual requirements.
Visits for children can be accommodated – please contact Kier (Paul Nelson – 07791 715714) to discuss individual requirements.
The next Open Doors will take place from Monday 16 - Saturday 21 March 2020.