Joint venture developers Canary Wharf Group and Qatari Diar are currently on site with a major development designed to re-vitalise the area around the landmark Shell Centre Tower with high quality architecture and much improved public spaces.
A mix of offices, homes and retail space are being integrated with open and attractive public areas, while new pedestrian routes will connect nearby Waterloo Station with the South Bank of the River Thames. A widened Chicheley Street will open up the approach to the London Eye, while a square at the heart of the scheme will provide open space and help people move around the area.
The Shell Centre Tower will be the centrepiece of the new site. The Tower will be complemented by seven new buildings, one of which will incorporate new offices and trading floors for Shell UK and be linked by bridge to the Tower. Approximately 800,000 ft2 of office space (including the Shell Centre Tower), along with around 80,000 ft2 of new retail units, restaurants and cafés, will be accompanied by 790 new homes, including affordable housing. The development is planned for completion in 2019.
The proposals for the development incorporate a highly efficient energy centre which will reduce the carbon footprint of the site. The system has been designed to interconnect with a district heating network being planned for the wider South Bank area.
Canary Wharf Contractors Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Canary Wharf Group are Construction Manager for the project.
Visit www.southbankplaceconstruction.com for more information.
The visit will include:
- A project update
- Overview of employment
- Q&A with the team
- Site tour
- Visitors must please wear trousers (no skirts), flat shoes with suitable grip (no heels) and consider warm clothing.
- There is no disabled access on site.
- Visitors are to be accompanied at all times by the CWCL representative and adhere to their request.
- Smoking is not permitted on the tour.
- Toilet facilities will be available at the start and end of the site tour.
- The tour may reach high levels; visitors must be able to walk down the stairs if necessary in an emergency.
Guests must be 18 or over to attend this visit
020 7001 3295
The next Open Doors will take place from Monday 16 - Saturday 21 March 2020.