About Isle of Man Ferry Terminal Site Visit

The new Isle of Man Ferry Terminal will replace the existing terminal that is located a few hundred yards to the South of site.

The new facility will include:

- a two-storey steel frame Terminal Building,

- three smaller structures (check-in, security, staff buildings),

Hard landscaping areas

- a Linkspan Bridge with Floating Pontoon,

- Fenders and Mooring Dolphin for the three different Vessels,

- a Passenger Access Systems to provide pedestrian access to and from the Vessels,

- and three areas of Land Reclamation in the inland Dock to ensure there is sufficient area to accommodate the project

Areas of heritage:

The site has a single vehicular and pedestrian access via the newly constructed Jesse Hartley Way located to the North of the Site. This is where the main access / egress for the terminal will be. The project includes the refurbishment of an existing Pedestrial Bridge located to the South of the Site which shall provide access from Princes’ Parade adjacent to Alexandra Tower.

The site consists of some hard standing (concreted) areas, areas of vegetation, original paving sets (some of which will need to be retained), dock gates and the quay wall. The plot has had different uses throughout its history, being developed to accommodate different uses:

- Initial Docks layout constructed between 1810 and 1823, reconfigured to half-tide dock in 1860s to make the basin more efficient as it could only handle the smallest vessels at the time. This is also the time that the Waterloo Dock was subdivided to create the world’s first purpose-built dock for the transportation of grain from America. The same dock is also where the American Packet boats moored, where thousands of individuals departed to make a new life in the US.

- 1949 West Waterloo dock and Princess Half-Tide dock were altered. The entrance to Princess Half-Tide dock was closed and a new entrance lock was built into West Waterloo dock.

- Further redevelopment in the 1960s saw the construction of Naval Base HMS Eaglet, which was demolished in 2000.

- A Contractor used the site as Site Accommodation for the construction of the Alexandra Tower in the early 2000’s.

These changes have seen a consolidation of ground conditions with the original listed Quay walls in place, the newer part of the Quay walls built in the 1940s and the construction of the HMS Eaglet structure, all playing part in the existing ground conditions.


Activity

Will consist of meeting the site team, discussion of project, viewing the project from the viewing platform followed by a Q&A session

Information on Open Doors 2022 will be released shortly


Information



About John Sisk & Son Ltd

Sisk is an innovative, international, construction and engineering company.

With a 160 year history spanning three centuries, our family business has stayed true to John Sisk’s vision of providing exceptionally high levels of construction expertise and customer service by employing, training and motivating capable staff.

This is your chance to come onto our site in South West London and see what goes on behind the scenes; alongside attending virtual events that we are hosting.

Find out more ab...
More