The North Bridge is a 3 span structure originally constructed in the late 1800’s that connects the old and
New town of Edinburgh and it passes directly over the existing Waverley Train Station. The North Bridge, in its current form, was constructed circa 1895. Remedial works were undertaken again in 1933.
In the early 1990’s painting was undertaken to the decorative facades and new parapets were installed with decorative covers of spheroidal cast iron construction. Principal Inspections were undertaken in 2015 which identified defects which required urgent attention. Intervention works were undertaken by City of Edinburgh Council (CEC) in 2017 to rectify the immediate defects and install netting to temporarily manage the remaining issues identified in the PI report.
The bridge is Category A-listed. Additionally the bridge is situated within a World Heritage Site and above the Category A listed Waverley Station.
Core Works to North Bridge
• Structural steelwork repairs.
• Grit blasting and repainting of the structural steelwork.
• Repairs to the cast iron façades.
• Grit blasting and repainting of the cast iron façades.
• Repairs to the underside of the bridge's concrete deck.
• Improvements to the structural drainage systems
• Replacement of expansion joints.
• Restoration of, and repairs to, the King's Own Scottish Borderers War Memorial (located
on the east plinth of the bridge's south pier).
• Installation of permanent platforms to improve access provisions for future inspection and
• All temporary scaffolding required to access the structure
|Address||North Bridge Refurbishment project,
Balfour Beatty Site Office,
See leaflet for directions
|Length of Visit||1 and Half Hours|
|Maximum Group Size||20|
|Register by||March 15, 2020|
|School, college, dwp||Limited to schools, colleges, educational instituions only|
|Minimum group size||20 spaces|
|Maximum group size||20 spaces|
Book your visit Manage your Bookings
- Please note that this site is open to school, college, educational institutional bookings only
- Please note that this site requires a minimum group size of 20 spaces
March 19, 2020
|10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.||Fully Booked|
|1 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. 20 Places Left||Book|
|3:30 p.m. - 5 p.m. 20 Places Left||Book|
Want to visit this site but booking not open or fully booked? Use the waiting list function to be notified when places become available